Armpits are a source of detoxification for our body — when we sweat, the toxins of the body are pushed out through the armpits. The high concentration of toxins and the bacteria leads to bad odour and darkening of the underarm area. This condition is aggravated on people who are overweight and those who sweat a lot. Shaving the hair of the underarm area, also leads to the darkening of the area. People also make a common mistake of not following a regular regime of exfoliation and moisturising of the underarm area.
Small steps to lighten dark underarms
- Keep the underarms dry as far as possible. More sweat leads to more bacteria which results in darkening of the underarms.
- Keep the underarm area well ventilated. Wearing light cotton clothes in summers will help in keeping the area dry.
kills the bacteria which causes odour in the underarm area. It also has a pleasant fragrance that leaves the area feeling fresh.
- Avoid the use of Deodorants. Very few people know that the harsh chemicals in deodorants are one of the main reason for the darkening of the underarm skin. In case of excessive sweating, the use of talcum powder is preferred.
- Do not shave the hair in the underarm area. It is recommended that the area be waxed to remove the hair. Lesser hair will help to keep the area dry. Use of hair reunder arm care tipsmoval cream is also absolutely not recommended.
- Vinegar can be used to wash the underarm area to rid it of foul odour of sweat.
- A homemade scrub of granular sugar with lemon juice can be used to exfoliate the underarm area. Sugar will gently exfoliate while lemon juice will bleach the skin resulting in lightening of the area.
- Apply almond oil in the underarms at night to moisturise it.
- Shea butter is rich in Vitamin E and is a very effective moisturiser
- Coconut oil, olive oil or castor oil can also be used.
- Lavender and peppermint essential oils can be used with any base oil like jojoba, almond and olive. This can be applied to the underarm area.
- A paste of baking soda and lemon juice can be applied on the underarms. Massage well. Wash when dry. This is an effective way to lighten underarm skin.
- Juice of potatoes, cucumber, tomato, lemon can be applied on the darkened area.
- As far as possible use natural products free of artificial chemicals.
Regular exfoliation and moisturising is extremely important to lighten the area.