In the world, as we know today, it is extremely hard to escape environmental pollution on a daily basis. Pollution can generate free radicals on the skin. These free radicals have a destructive effect on your skin support structure and can accelerate skin ageing.
Our skin is a natural barrier between the internal body and the external world. Though the human skin is very resilient and does this job very effectively, it’s not completely impenetrable.
Small nanoparticles in the form of dirt, dust or soot can enter and negatively impact your skin cells. Gases such as nitrogen dioxide, ozone, carbon monoxide can harm our skin. Pollution breaks down collagen in the skin(responsible for delivering hydration and plumpness to the skin) and the hazardous effect on the skin is visible in the form of patchy skin, dehydration, dryness, dark spots and dullness.
Steps to take care of skin and hair –
- Cover your face when stepping outside – It’s not just our lungs but our face also that needs protection from the increased pollution. Try to wear a face mask or wrap a scarf around the face and hair before going outdoors. Keep your eyes covered with sunglasses.
- Use sunscreen – Sunscreen acts as a barrier between the face and the polluted atmosphere. It also saves the skin from the harmful UV rays. Use a sunscreen of minimum SPF 15. Use sunscreen even when you are indoors.
- Proper Cleansing – Cleanse the face every single day, twice a day with products that are mild yet effective. Handmade Charcoal soaps are very effective and deep cleanse the skin without having a drying effect. Use a gentle face scrub to exfoliate the dirt and oil from the pores on the face. Use it 2-3 times a week to get a visibly clearer and healthy-looking face.
- Moisturise the skin – The polluting gases in the atmosphere have a drying effect on the skin. It is important to replenish the moisture loss to get healthy-looking skin. Apply a hydrating mask on the face to hydrate the facial cells.
- Night Hydration– Apply a night cream after cleaning the face at night. This will replenish the lost moisture giving a glowing supple skin. They also help the skin cells of the face to repair during sleep. Jojoba and almond oils are also very effective in skin hydration. You can make natural face packs with fruits, aloe vera, turmeric, yoghurt, and milk.
- Hair massages– The scalp and hair should be gently massaged. These messages increase the blood circulation in the head, making the hair soft and healthy. The relaxing effect of the head massages is a bonus. Almond oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, mustard oil and oils with herbs are excellent options for head massages.
- Drink plenty of water – Water will not only hydrate the body, but it will also help in throwing out the free radicals that get accumulated during the day. These free radicals are the main reason for acne.
- Incorporate fruits and vegetables – Fruits and vegetables are a rich source of essential vitamins and minerals. While having the fruit empowers the body internally, the soft peels and pulp of almost all fruits can be directly rubbed on the skin to get fresh glowing skin. Fruit smoothies are a great way to incorporate fruits into our diets.
- Vitamin C – Increase the intake of Vitamin C for a visible betterment of the skin. Gooseberry(amla), lemon, oranges, guavas are all good sources of Vitamin C.
- Green vegetables – It is important to clean the green leafy vegetables very well as pollution tends to stick on them. Soak them in water for some time before washing. Incorporate salads in the diet.Image credit: freepik.com