Activated charcoal is the latest ‘detox’ trend. It’s typically made from carbon-containing material, like wood, that is heated at high temperatures to create charcoal, then oxidised – a process known as “activation”.Activated charcoal has lots of small holes on its surface, increasing its surface area and making it more porous. It’s this sponge-like property that allows activated charcoal to soak up a variety of chemicals.
Activated charcoal has been used in emergency medicine for the treatment of drug overdose or accidental poisoning for a long time. It binds with certain drugs or poisons, reducing their absorption in the gut and minimising the detrimental effects on the patient.
Activated charcoal is highly effective at drawing out various types of toxins such as bacteria, various types of chemicals, dirt, and similar type of particles. When used on the skin, individuals immediately notice a clear, flawless complexion free from excess oil, acne, and other common skin problems. This is why it is quickly becoming one of the newest trends in the beauty industry and beautification techniques for the skin.
BENEFITS OF ACTIVATED CHARCOAL
- Get rid of acne – Activated charcoal absorbs the excess oil that causes acne.
- Lightening dark underarms- Activated charcoal is an excellent exfoliant. Remarkable lightening of underarms is seen when used on underarms regularly.
- Balances oily skin- Activated charcoal absorbs the excess oil from the skin and balances the oil.
- Helps remove dandruff- Dandruff is caused by oily scalp.Activated charcoal absorbs the excess oil from the scalp that causes Dandruff.
- Get rid of scars- Activated charcoal gently exfoliates the top dead skin. Regular exfoliation helps in lightening of the scars.
WAYS TO USE ACTIVATED CHARCOAL
- Activated charcoal can be taken orally to get rid of harmful toxins and drugs from the body. It is available as tablets as well as a fine powder. It is not absorbed by the body. However, the toxins bind to it and are eliminated from the body.
- It is used in soaps and washes to remove oil and other impurities.
- Used in face masks to help lighten the scars.
- Used in body scrubs to help gently exfoliate the skin.
- Used in shampoos for dandruff free hair.
- Used in toothpaste to whiten the teeth.
- Just open up a capsule of activated charcoal and mix in with a dollop of your favourite shampoo to get the toxin-ridding benefits of charcoal.